About Me

Thanks for stopping by my blog- My name is Amber, and I have two things I am really passionate about, and they would be Jesus, and family. Jesus became real to me in March of 2008, and my life has not been the same since, hence the reason to blog. This blog is just another way that I can fame the Name that set me free and hopefully encourage others along the way. I pray the words of this blog, the words the Lord has written on my heart to share with all of you, encourage you, build you up and cause you to lift your eyes off of your less than desirable circumstances, and place them onto the totally capable Father in Heaven. Jesus is my everything, and I pray you feel His love here. Bless you friend. Spend as much time as the Lord allows you on my blog, and be blessed.

Hebrews 11:8

"By faith, when Abraham was called to go to a place he would later receive his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going."

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Conversation That Kills


With a family oriented holiday right around the corner of tonight's eve, I felt the Lord burden my heart with this concept. Here is the scene, it's dinner time. You and your not-often-seen extended family are sitting across from one another, making casual, (but fake) conversation.
Why do we always feel that in order to be "real" with our conversation we have to talk about things that are considered "hot button" topics. You know, politics, region, or whether or not women should wear their hair down in church. (I just through that last one in the rile you up. :) ) But in all honesty, why do we start these heated conversations with others when we already know the outcome? Why not try lovingly asking our extended family members personal questions about themselves we know will draw us closer together AND as a result make our family member feel loved and genuinely cared for? Isn't that what we would all desire? It is what I would want, for someone to lovingly and in a caring way ask about what is REALLY going on in my life...and then follow it up with some real empathy for my struggles. That is what I really think our families are missing these days, is genuine concern for one another, we are so concerned with voicing and sharing our (right) viewpoints that we completely miss golden opportunities to share with others the love of Christ.
I doubt that the Feast of the Passover Lamb Jesus sat there and said, "do you think Ceaser is a good leader?"  NO. I bet instead He asked the folks He was sitting with how they really were, and what cares and concerns they had for the children, and probably asked how He could pray for them, and quite possible He followed them home and helped them with some yard work. That is the kind of God we serve, and we are HIS children are we not? If we claim Christ as our Lord and Savior we ought to be trying to copy Him, (in His strength) a little more. Now, I say this more to myself than anyone of you. SO do not feel as though I am pointing my finger at any one of you who read these words. These are things the Lord has placed on MY heart for MY learning and I assumed perhaps there were some who would benefit from what He is teaching me. I am to be an ambassador of His love, and representation of who He is...and at it's core my actions should say to the world, "Jesus would do this too..." Because if my actions contradict what my Savior would do, then I ought to really rethink what I am about to do or say. Our words can be deadly you know. They have the power to breath life into someone (rejuvenate) or the power to make someone feel like death. Have you ever had life-giving words spoken to you by another who lovingly took an interest in what you were saying? You could tell that in that conversation that were genuinely interested in the pain or joy going on in your life? It's only through the power of Christ and the all sufficiency of the Lord's provision that we will ever reach a place in any of our conversations that resembles what I am describing here. These life-giving words that only Christ can supply us with are the oldest rule in the book. Christ breathed life into all those He shared His truth with, in the same way God breathed life in Adam's lifeless body in creation. We are all in need of fresh-breathed words, words fresh from the mouth of Christ. Have you have ever been in a situation where no one shared your views, beliefs or thoughts? It's hard to stay there for very long, and then you get back into your normal circle of surroundings and conversation and suddenly you feel as though you can "breath again?" Well the same is true for those we come up against in our conversations.
If we not so lovingly try to persuade people through our words that essentially "they are wrong..." they feel stifled. They feel as though they are being verbally suffocated, and will look for the first opportunity to get out of that situation. I feel that way so I know others do. Some will fight back, some will actually be able to attain a healthy dialog, but this is rare. And it usually takes place when the two talking together are not far off in their points of view.
I hope I have spurred some of you on towards love and good deeds through these thoughts that the Lord has placed on my heart this morning. These are not easy things to do, turning off our own desire to steer a conversation to our desires way. But in the end, arguing never brought anyone to Christ. (not that I can recall?) However, what does attract others to Jesus is a person who is first of all loving, gentle and willing to listen. A person who takes genuine interest in another persons struggles and a person who lovingly forgoes the opportunity to try and prove their point. In hopes to lead others to Him.
I am not simply say nothing, and turn into a bean bag with no mouth or opinion, but rather, we show up, and allow Christ to take over and do the rest. Have Holy Spirit led conversations, have Christ fueled conversations. How then will we do this? Through prayer. That is the only way we will thrive through these difficult situations.
He is our all sufficient source of everything we will ever need. And that includes being the provider genuine, loving thanksgiving conversation. SO before you cross the thresh hold of your Thanksgiving feast residence, pray. Pray as if your life depends on it, because the moment we let our guard down in Christ, the humanness that eats away at us begins to show it's ugly face.
And remember friends, "In all things, we are more than conquerors through Him who provides for us..." Romans 8...
Happy Thanksgiving conversations friends, and be blessed as you become Jesus to all those who would probably never darken the door of the church. Surprise your family members and friends with His presence, and I can't wait to hear how He shows off. To GOD be the GLORY!!!! (for this is why we live, for His glory.)

No comments:

Post a Comment