About Me

Thanks for stopping by my blog- My name is Amber, and I have two things I am really passionate about, and they would be Jesus, and family. Jesus became real to me in March of 2008, and my life has not been the same since, hence the reason to blog. This blog is just another way that I can fame the Name that set me free and hopefully encourage others along the way. I pray the words of this blog, the words the Lord has written on my heart to share with all of you, encourage you, build you up and cause you to lift your eyes off of your less than desirable circumstances, and place them onto the totally capable Father in Heaven. Jesus is my everything, and I pray you feel His love here. Bless you friend. Spend as much time as the Lord allows you on my blog, and be blessed.

Hebrews 11:8

"By faith, when Abraham was called to go to a place he would later receive his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going."

Friday, March 15, 2013

The Truth About Freedom



You've heard it said before, "I've never felt so free!" But what is true freedom? What does it really mean to be free? A few thoughts are: nothing holding you back, ability to be and go, move about freely, room to run, ability to act and be. No regrets. Nothing hanging over your head. No guilt.
I used to think this: "being  a follower of Christ is like being in a cage. You can't do anything, you can't have fun. Nothing could be more boring."
Have you ever felt that way? I wish I could come through the computer screen right now and let you see the passion in my eyes as I say these things that I am about to say, because what I now know about being free is so different than what I ever thought it was.
Freedom to me now is not getting to do whatever I want, anyone can do that, but there are always consequences.
I will tell you how I see freedom now and why "freedom in Christ" is the freedom I seek.
The reality that we have to accept as believers is that we need a Savior. If this concept is difficult for you, your not alone, people all throughout the Bible and history struggled with accepting that they could not save themselves. That they needed help. How dreadful to be helpless. To not have a leg to stand on. How weak.
But in my weakness, Christ reveals His strength. IN my helpless estate He rescues. And He alone can give me the strength to stand.
You were brainwashed. (someone might think)
Brainwashed may have been a term I used some years ago, when I felt people wanted me to fit into a box of the "perfect christian life" and their lists, and rules of not-to-do's. Again, I could not have been more wrong.
The way I used to view Christianity was simply by what I could not do. I never even looked at Jesus. I never even glanced at the cross. I knew the verse, "God sent His one and only son to die so that I can have eternal life.." but what good was eternal life if the life I would eternally live was not in the slightest bit appealing to me? Who wanted to live a life eternally trying to be perfect, and never being able to truly live out their "dreams and desires?"
The best thing about Jesus is this: He meets us where we are at. If we are feeling skeptical, He wants to hear about it, and for a while I just defiantly poured out my anger to Him. Then after I felt I had spoke my peace, He opened my eyes.
It was if He said this to me..."You think you can do this, save yourself, and be pretty good all on your own don't you? You think I'm a big meanie who doesn't really care about how you feel? Then child, you don't really know me. You see your son, your only son over there, I had one of those too. I sent mine to die on a cross. My sweet son, I gave to you as a ransom for the sin's and insufficiency you won't acknowledge. You need me so bad you can't even see how bad you need me child. "
I was very defiant. I was very angry. God had done some things in my life that had made me come to a fork in the road, a place I had to chose.
I never read my Bible all that in-depth. I didn't actually know how to hear His voice, or see His fingerprints, I didn't have the slightest idea about what the real christian life looked like.
The abundant life. The free life.
Until I surrendered. I walked out of the cage I had been sitting in for 20 some years. The door was open the whole time, but I defiantly told the Lord I would find my own way out.
The reality of how fragile life was had hit me a few different times in my life, but I never understood what it felt like to walk through life without fear, because I trusted One bigger than myself. I never even wanted to face the fact that there was someone bigger than myself. I was just fine, thank you.
And if you had asked me how I felt about my wayward ways I probably would have said, "I'm fine!"
I was blind.
The funny thing about being blind is that you think you know what your talking about. But you can't really see, so how could I know?
Jesus is the ONLY one who can give sight to the blind. (spiritually speaking) and the day He took my blinders off I saw things as they really were. At first, I felt the strangest feeling. Godly sorrow. I was sorrowful for all of the things I had done to others, my selfishness, and my vain conceit, however, after I realized that He came here to take my sin away, and that is what that John 3:16 verse was talking about all alone, I realized the magnitude of that reality. As it pertained to me. I had done so much wrong, so many people I had hurt with my selfish ways, but I realized THAT was WHY He came to die. SO He could take that junk from me, and I could live FREE.
Thankfulness like I had never experienced washed over me. I never knew what it felt like before that moment to have real, authentic, God given JOY. What once felt like a cage to me, now felt like a great open space to run.  That is real freedom.
Free to live in His joy, knowing He took all my junk away from me.
I never could have experienced this joy until I recognized the magnitude of my junk. You see God saw my heart. Even if my actions were kinda OK, my heart was black. I was constantly feeding the things of the flesh, anger, bitterness, resentment, the right to hold a grudge, lust, greed, discontentment. Not a pretty list. But as long I believed the lie that I was pretty good, and that if I did enough good stuff, and that if God really was for real, I'd probably make it to heaven....I'd never be able to accept His grace.
It's His grace, His gift of life that gives us freedom.
As long as we think we are "not that bad off" we will always miss the mark of joy and freedom. And if you miss freedom by an inch, you might as well have missed it by a century.
A little sin, is like a little death. A little sin, is like a little rape. There is no part of sin that is little. And when we focus on the fact that Jesus's shadow of Him on the cross completely covers our sin shadow, this is where our freedom lies. Freedom, and thankfulness. For now we are free, and now we are eternally thankful for His ability to rescue. What we once tripped over, we now hold high.
And that my friends is why you then desire to fallow His example and live a Godly life, the rules however you will find, are not rules, but rather a recipe for even more joy, for you will find, the more you give, the more you receive. This my friends, is the abundant life. This my friends, is real freedom.
I hope these words cast light on a somewhat distorted topic, and I pray that you will be encouraged by them. Don't focus so much on all the wrong you have done, but after confessing your deep deep need, recognize you can never plumb the depths of His grace. If you go deep, He'll go deeper. You can never out do God.
Ever.
Enjoy that glorious truth. This glorious freedom.


No comments:

Post a Comment