About Me

Thanks for stopping by my blog- My name is Amber, and I have two things I am really passionate about, and they would be Jesus, and family. Jesus became real to me in March of 2008, and my life has not been the same since, hence the reason to blog. This blog is just another way that I can fame the Name that set me free and hopefully encourage others along the way. I pray the words of this blog, the words the Lord has written on my heart to share with all of you, encourage you, build you up and cause you to lift your eyes off of your less than desirable circumstances, and place them onto the totally capable Father in Heaven. Jesus is my everything, and I pray you feel His love here. Bless you friend. Spend as much time as the Lord allows you on my blog, and be blessed.

Hebrews 11:8

"By faith, when Abraham was called to go to a place he would later receive his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going."

Monday, February 10, 2014

Entertain Me.






Tonight as I sat down, Bible in hand, ready to dive into His word and spend the much craved for time with Him, it hit me that as much as I want to be with Him, my flesh cries out for something "more entertaining" than the Bible. I shake my head in disgust at myself. I feel the shame game the enemy wants me to feel. Instead, I pray, and I ask The Lord to open my eyes, and mind up to His word, to engage me in His word, and teach me the very thoughts of God.
That is what His word is isn't it? Isn't that amazing that we get to at any given time open up a book that holds the thoughts of an all knowing God, and we can at our leisure, search it's pages and reflect, gain knowledge and go beyond that with His Holy Spirit to guide us in personal ways?! I marvel that my flesh could still have the nerve to ask for something more entertaining. The games on my phone, flash, "come back and play.." my DVR tells me I have shows yet to watch...and my children come and ask for one more drink of water, proving that distraction, and entertainment is everywhere.
I turn my phone off, and I face the window instead of the TV, I feel a bit like Jesus being tempted in the wilderness to gaze upon all the earth has to offer and to worship that which is created rather than creator. NO. I won't I say in my heart.
It's hard though isn't it? Because the book that calls out to our hearts isn't flashy. It doesn't have sex appeal. It's not necessarily the type of thing you always feel like picking up. Until you do pick it up, and something strange happens, your spirits are lifted, you begin to feel hope being restored and suddenly, you don't feel the need to be so entertained because you are at peace just as you are. Often times we look for entertainment because we are bored, or looking to escape some of life's difficult realities, but failing to see the truth about our circumstances because we don't look to the ultimate source of truth! Christ and His written word.
In that book that I am tempted to at times overlook are the secretes to life, the manual of life, ready and available any time I, or you need it.
God wanted His commandments written down so that we would not forget them. He wanted ancient boundary stones set up so that we would not forget. These things are here for our personal benefit! And by it we can also benefit others. For when we are healthy inside and out, we respond in a more healthy way to others. Our reading His word is good for us, and ultimately, all those around us.
Yes  HGTV may be something my creative side loves to watch, but is it giving my soul it really needs? No. Is it wrong to watch some shows or play games or just relax without the Bible? NO! It's not wrong...Jesus rested, so did God. We all need to rest. But rest implies  that we are at rest with life, things and circumstances. Have you ever tried to sleep when your stressed? It's doesn't work very well. Instead, I stay with Jesus until the peace comes, until the rest in spirit returns. And then I rest in other ways, and sometimes, after receiving refreshment from The Lord, I no longer feel the need to escape in the human sense, for human rest. I feel energized and I am able to finish my day strong because I was just built up by His word.
Often when I open His word, I pray, "Lord, help me to see what you want me to see. Simplify this for me. Help me not to stress about how to get the most out of this time, and simply let me rest in the fact that you will lead me through your word in a way that gives me exactly what I need, right now. AMEN"

I can even stress about getting the most out of His word. God did not mean for my Bible time to be stressful. It was for my refreshment that He gave me the word. Yes to challenge me also, but to grow me and make me be more like Christ.
That is what this is all about, to spend time with Him, to stare intently into His word, and to become more like Jesus.
Jesus could sleep during a storm. Pray on a cross. AND He did it so we could have a perfect example, a perfect way to follow, and always have a way out of our flesh.  He's the better choice if you need to escape. He's the best option if you need refreshment. More than anything else, we need to be encouraged by Him. All other methods are fleeting. The show ends, the game ends, the wine runs out and the kids grow up, but Jesus on the other hand is the same Yesterday, today and forever. SO the next time I need refreshment (like in a few minutes) :) I'm going to open my Bible. Not because I'm a super christian, not because it puts me in better standing with Christ, but because I purely and simply know, He is the better choice and He has everything I need. (and HGTV will be there after I spend time with Jesus) And I'm pretty sure Jesus likes their creativity as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment