About Me

Thanks for stopping by my blog- My name is Amber, and I have two things I am really passionate about, and they would be Jesus, and family. Jesus became real to me in March of 2008, and my life has not been the same since, hence the reason to blog. This blog is just another way that I can fame the Name that set me free and hopefully encourage others along the way. I pray the words of this blog, the words the Lord has written on my heart to share with all of you, encourage you, build you up and cause you to lift your eyes off of your less than desirable circumstances, and place them onto the totally capable Father in Heaven. Jesus is my everything, and I pray you feel His love here. Bless you friend. Spend as much time as the Lord allows you on my blog, and be blessed.

Hebrews 11:8

"By faith, when Abraham was called to go to a place he would later receive his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going."

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Why Do You Do That?

Building on what God talked to me about yesterday, and what I shared on my blog with you on that, He is obviously really trying to get something into my thick head. :) For, today I was reading in Proverbs, and then in Mark where he addresses once again, the issues of the heart.
Today, He took a slightly different approach, the Pharisees were in this story, and whenever they are present, I know I am about to be convicted about something, because my heart so resembles the pharisees at times, I hate it.
Today, Jesus is speaking to them because if this: They gathered around Jesus and said, "they saw some of His disciples eating food with hands that were not washed." *gasp!
But my friends, this was a real sin in this time, if they ate this food they defiled what was going into their body and so making the food they took in was also defiled. I look at that and for the first time it means something to me. Because they were simply holding onto tradition for the sake of tradition, not because they were genuinely convicted, but because they were pias, self-righteous and having a lofty view of themselves. They were better, so they thought. How many times have I thought this? "I can't believe 'so and so' would 'do that'!" If we are being honest with ourselves my friends, and I will speak for myself here, I'm sure there are many moments where our heart do in fact whisper these things. And that is another way our hearts are deceitful. For, we may not be as bold as the pharisees in our verbal claims, but our hearts resembled them at times.
"A malicious man disguises himself with his lips, but in his heart he harbors deceit." Proverbs 26:24
I hate that this verse describes my heart at times. yucky.
Jesus goes on in this passage to tell the Pharisees this: " These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they worship me in vain, their teachings are but rules taught by men." Mark 7:7
And then this verse also:
"And you do many things like that." vs13
Oh friends...this is the heart of the heart, and I pray my heart does this no more. What "hand washing" rules do I follow simply because "it's what you do.." not because it's what I have to do but because it's honoring to the Father and because that has now become my desire as well.
My husband and I have had this conversation, who would you be if you were alone in a hotel room with no-one who knew you and know one to hold you accountable? Would the spirit lead you and direct you and guide you to the purest form of self? Or would your mind wander to the idea that "anything can be done because no-one knows." There was a huge part of my life that would have leaned more towards the later option...thankfully, for the most part I do believe I would choose the first option now. I know what lies on the other side, and I hate it. So the sting of sin is still burning on my skin from past mistakes and I am thankful for that sensation so that now I do not make the same mistakes. (now I just make new mistakes.) :) But in all honesty...what I have done in the past, has forced me to turn to better places now.
But back to my Pharisees heart, I pray friends, that we all can learn from this passage and these truths, that is why we have the words of the Lord written for us, documented for us, so that our eyes can read, and our heart can be convicted, and turn from their foolish states of sin and be healed. I pray this is a daily occurrence for me, and for you.
When God speaks, He speaks for big reasons. He wants and desires our full hearts, our full passions, and for the right reasons. So today, as you do what "you must" because you are you, ask yourself, why? Why do you do what you do? And if it's not for the right reason, the holy reasons, then ask God to help you examine your lives, your hearts and help you change. The Lord is so good to us, and so forgiving and He loves a broken and contrite heart that comes to Him loving Him and willing to change.
"But you, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness." Psalm 86:15
Doesn't that sound like a beautiful description of Him? Don't you want to be spending your time with that kind of person? I do. I pray today we can all run to Him and apply to our hearts what I have learned this morning. Seek and you shall find, knock and the door WILL BE OPENED.
Have a great day my friends!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment