About Me

Thanks for stopping by my blog- My name is Amber, and I have two things I am really passionate about, and they would be Jesus, and family. Jesus became real to me in March of 2008, and my life has not been the same since, hence the reason to blog. This blog is just another way that I can fame the Name that set me free and hopefully encourage others along the way. I pray the words of this blog, the words the Lord has written on my heart to share with all of you, encourage you, build you up and cause you to lift your eyes off of your less than desirable circumstances, and place them onto the totally capable Father in Heaven. Jesus is my everything, and I pray you feel His love here. Bless you friend. Spend as much time as the Lord allows you on my blog, and be blessed.

Hebrews 11:8

"By faith, when Abraham was called to go to a place he would later receive his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going."

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Yesterday




We have all said it, "I wish it was like it 'used' to be." Maybe not about every aspect of our yesterday, but really, in some cases, yesterday can appear better than what we are dealing with right now. It's easy for grown ups, like you and I to wish for the carefree days of our youth, or childhood. When we would run barefoot in the open field and play games with our friends, not having a care in the world and letting our parents deal with all the issues of real life. I'm guilty sometimes of wishing for such things to return. Sometimes, it's just remembering good memories. And there is nothing wrong with that. But other times, these memories sit in my gut, and resonate until discontentment with today begins to take deep root. Suddenly today begins to look less and less appealing, and then I want to escape. It affects my outlook on life and my outlook on reality. Dreams are called dreams for a reason, they are dreamy! Warm, delightful, and rose colored. Dreams are a lot like memories. So wether we are dreaming of a better today, or living in the past, either one can become a stumbling block. On one hand, dreams are great. They push me forward towards something I want to attain, a goal I want to reach, but they also cause me to not live in today if I take my dream too far.
Why all this focus on memories and dreams?  I will tell you why.
Something concrete is this: Jesus is with you right now. Something real: God created you to live each day, as each day comes. Something to stand on: Today is the day you are living in. There is something raw, real and brave about looking at today, square in the face and saying, "IN all this I am more than a conqueror through Christ Jesus." Romans 8:37
It's easy to slip into "yesterday" because it's well worn, well known, and comfortable. Unlike today, today can feel scary. It's the unknowns of today that can cause some people to simply pull the covers up over their faces and roll over into what feels safe.
Is this the type of life that God has planned for us? I would venture to say NO. (although a nice lazy day is welcome once and while.) But really, I believe that although each day and it's unknowns are frightening sometimes, the unknowns are also amazing opportunities to see God do something amazing.
I wish I could list all the times throughout every day, when God surprised me with how HE worked it out, all for His glory, and my good. When I let God have my thoughts, my ways, and my days, I am always astounded with what He does with them. HE turns something meek, gray and ugly into something amazing I could have never imagined. Can life be scary? Yes. Can the unknowns be dismal? Yes, in the flesh they can. Or, we can turn that glass around, and see it the way God does. He gives us roughly what, 12 to 15 hrs each day, to do, and be and live out His plans...then we rest hopefully...
What shall we do with these wakeful hours? Will we run towards the light with our eyes set fast on His truth? Will we pray without ceasing as we come upon a curve that we cannot see around? Will we pray for strength as we see the bumps in the road ahead? As we anticipate what will come up next? Will we hold to the faith when we see a shadow land ahead? Or will we turn around and run back to what seems sunny, and comfortable?
I would challenge you friend, don't turn around. Don't say, "why were the old days better." Press on. Keep the course. Fight the good fight. Keep your gaze fixed with His. And walk forward into the unknowns, no matter how your hands may tremble, know that He will not ask you to walk through something He does not plan help you finish.
A person needs to only spend a few moments in the Psalms to see that God asked David to go through some dark valleys, but David is quoted as saying, "with God I can scale any wall." And for David, those were literal walls! The walls or bumps we may face are not always literal, but they are just as trying. But the same God who helped David, is with us today. Isn't that amazing and comforting?
SO friend, don't despair if today feels hard. Don't turn on your heals and run back to yesterday, even though it feels better, it's not. Yesterday is over. Remember it with fondness, but then turn your face towards the sun and press on. Strength for today, and bright hope for tomorrow. That's what Jesus gives us.

I'll close with the Psalmist's words, "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, your rod and your staff, they comfort me. " Psalm 23

David got it right. He knew that no matter the dark valley he walked through...he did not walk it alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment