About Me

Thanks for stopping by my blog- My name is Amber, and I have two things I am really passionate about, and they would be Jesus, and family. Jesus became real to me in March of 2008, and my life has not been the same since, hence the reason to blog. This blog is just another way that I can fame the Name that set me free and hopefully encourage others along the way. I pray the words of this blog, the words the Lord has written on my heart to share with all of you, encourage you, build you up and cause you to lift your eyes off of your less than desirable circumstances, and place them onto the totally capable Father in Heaven. Jesus is my everything, and I pray you feel His love here. Bless you friend. Spend as much time as the Lord allows you on my blog, and be blessed.

Hebrews 11:8

"By faith, when Abraham was called to go to a place he would later receive his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going."

Friday, June 18, 2010

For God, or For Man?


I have been having this thought lately about why we do kind things for others besides the fact that it's nice to minister to others with our kindness...

I find myself feeling a little sheepish because there have been so many times in my life where I have done great things in the eyes of man and thought to myself..."Wow, I'm pretty great!" Anyone else done that? OK, well even if I'm the only one, it's a good thing to ponder. :)

Apparently, in the time when Paul was speaking to the Corinthians people of those times were also getting confused by the powers of man vs. the powers of God. People were accomplishing "great tasks" in the eyes of man and...Paul says, "Some follow Paul, Some follow Apollos, and some follow God?" That is where these people were, their hearts were divided between men and God, thinking that men were as wise as God, putting all three on the same playing field.

Unfortunately, we all do this in our way even today.

"For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid. which is Jesus Christ. If any man builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality or each man's work. If what he build survives he will receive his reward. If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames." 1 Cor 3: 11-14


What is Paul saying here? People were building a foundation with mans hands, mans ideas, man strength and in man's abilities. And he wanted them to know, this would never pass the flames of hell because only what God builds passes the Day. Wow. That's a little scary isn't it?

I've been there, thinking, building, conjuring up my own great plans, carrying them out in my own great strength only to find that they crumbled, they fall and I am left standing, alone, and with hands empty, and heart full of loss: ALL because I did things with my own wood, and nails.

But friends, this is not the end of the story!!! Christ's story never ends in sorrow unless we live unrepentant. When we pick up and take notice of our folly, ask for forgiveness and ask for eyes to see the future of what our next steps shall be in Christ, we have redemption in Christ. Beautiful forgiveness. Beautiful new life in Christ.

I think personally it's so easy to do things in our own power initially, we have a great idea, and really on the surface it sounds so good! Perhaps it's taking someones children for the day, all 13 of them! :) haha. But really, you are not to take try and minister in this way, because there might be better way God would have you serve this family. I know this is the story of my life, there is ALWAYS something that you can say "yes" too and there is always something kind that you could do. Noticing that is not a bad thing! It means you have a tender heart. However we need to run on the passion of Christ, not the passion of you.


"For the wisdom of the world is foolishness in God's sight." vs 19


Ouchie. What I think Is so great, and when I think that I am at my best, my best is still nothing in comparison to Christ. (when I do it on my own)

Christ desires to use us! He wants to use us and He loves to communicate with us how He can use us more, we need only to ask.


"Blessed is every one that feareth the Lord; that walketh in His ways. For thou shalt eat the labour of thine hands: happy thou shall be, and it shall be well with thee.." -Psalm 128:1-2


Blessed will you be when you walk in His direction, in His ways my friends...when you ask Him..."Lord, what should I do for these people? I want to help them, I want to minister here, but what do you want me to do?" And He may answer you that He wants you to help that family "over there" instead of the one you were originally thinking! After all, He sees what we cannot and He of course is wiser than I. I'm actually finding A LOT of comfort in that.

My greatest folly is that when I do "good" things, I get to feeling pretty great about myself...this is not the attitude Pauls tells me I am to have.

"So no more boasting about men!!!" vs 21

I want to be used and then give God the glory. Oh friends, I am yet a work in progress! I pray that God can grab my heart and make it look more like Him because this is the only place I know I will be truly OK. And truly joyful with myself. I pray this message challenges you and encourages you to give all the glory to God, and to do what He wants us to do, rather than what we think would be the best thing to do.

By serving God whole-heatedly, He teaches us how to serve others whole-heartedly and with the right motives. And the Lord loves a pure heart.

1 comment:

  1. I feel like I am always fighting against the temptation to do things for man's eyes. I know that I genuinely WANT to give and serve and love, but often my feelings of satisfaction come from man and not God. Oh...the fear of man is such a battle for me! But Paul did understand and tried to direct those Corinthians...good reminders today!

    ReplyDelete