About Me

Thanks for stopping by my blog- My name is Amber, and I have two things I am really passionate about, and they would be Jesus, and family. Jesus became real to me in March of 2008, and my life has not been the same since, hence the reason to blog. This blog is just another way that I can fame the Name that set me free and hopefully encourage others along the way. I pray the words of this blog, the words the Lord has written on my heart to share with all of you, encourage you, build you up and cause you to lift your eyes off of your less than desirable circumstances, and place them onto the totally capable Father in Heaven. Jesus is my everything, and I pray you feel His love here. Bless you friend. Spend as much time as the Lord allows you on my blog, and be blessed.

Hebrews 11:8

"By faith, when Abraham was called to go to a place he would later receive his inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going."

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Why We NEED the Cross


The world we live in is chalk full of self-sufficiency and do-it-your-self-ers. :)
Trust me friends, I used to be one. Takes one to know one they say. But, I'm learning, God is not a God who ever asks you to do anything all by yourself. And taking our need for Him out of the equation not only makes God seem small, but almost unnecessary.
Today at my Bible study class, I learned all about Christ in regards to how He is our shepherd and what that really looks like. And, how many times, the shepherd would put His own life, in harms way to save his sheep. I'm imagining the scenario, Lion approaches flock of sheep, Shepherd begins to rush in to save the sheep, but one of the sheep yells out, "No way Man, I got this one, I'm going to take on this Lion, take him on, and eat HIM for lunch." As absurd as this little story sounds, that's what we do every day, to Christ. The difference between the earthly shepherds and the heavenly Shepherd is this, we absolutely need Him if this life is ever to be about anything other than right now. In other words, we need Him, and we need His cross, because we need His forgiveness. When Christ heals a little boy from a sickness, and his parents stand by, once the healing is done, and the boy is well, I have a hard time believing that they spit on Jesus and say, "thanks for fixing this one for us, but we got it from here on out..." Oh no friends, they look at the Savior, and realize, and acknowledge that without Christ, this life would not have been saved. Because they friends, recognized their need for the Savior. They recognized that they could not make it through without His healing touch. The recognize that life would not have continued, without Him. This is what accepting His forgiveness looks like, when we, have our earthly eyes opened, see our need, and accept that forgiveness. I find it odd that we actually have to ACCEPT forgiveness, shouldn't it be a given that if forgiveness is offered by someone, we just take it, because to be forgiven is a gift and a privilege. Not so with us as humans. We look at forgiveness negatively because, well, (we scoff) that in order to accept the Fathers forgiveness, we have to accept that WE (oh great people) are sinners. Ouch. I know. It's stings slightly. Actually, it stings alot, but the sting goes away once we acknowledge our desolate place, and reach out, and take the forgiveness that His cross offers us. "That while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us..."
You see friends, we do need Him. And if you think that you do not, let me challenge you on this thought, the next time you stare into the eyes of your son, grandson, or nephew, look into those baby blues as if it was a child who was born to die. And tell me friends, you don't need that, and it was all for nothing. And when I sin, and say in my heart, "father, I'm not sinning.." we are spitting on the cross, on the forgiveness offered and at the feet a small child born to die.
I'm using intense analogies because it has struck a chord with my heart. This great Father, This all knowing, brave, almighty shepherd LONGS to lead us to quiet pastures and still waters, He LONGS to restore your soul, my soul and your neighbors. I remember those days in my not so distant past when I did just this, telling My Father, "I am not sinning. I am FINE. I just like to be...and say...and act...because it's who I am. I'm not selfish, I'm just looking out for myself...I'm not harsh...I'm just brutally honest...I'm not crude or judgemental...I just know whats OK for me, and whats not."
Do you see how I sounded to those looking in. It was yucky. But when I stood there, looking at a cross, staring into the eyes of a child, know that I had a choice to make, I fell, hard and straight to my knees. Crying to my Shepherd, recognizing the spiritual Lions in my life, and the ways I had tried to "kill the lion myself."
I was angry at first when I saw what I saw in me, then I was hurt, and then, I grieved, because I saw who I was, and then you know what friends? He showed me who I could become. PRAISE HIS HOLY NAME! So today, when I learn, oh how I learn, because I saw. I saw.
And now, I see..I look up and I see the cross, and what IT means for me, for you and the rest of the world who accepts it.
So when YOU see the cross today, remember my words, and how great His love is for you, what is at stake, and what is being offered to you. Thank you for the cross, thank you for the cross, My Friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment